Clyde Township History
The township is named for the River Clyde in Scotland. In 1825,
a Scotsman Robert Smart, with the backing of Detroit interests,
built a mill on the Black River. Smart named the place "Clyde Mills”,
after the river in where he had lived as a boy. Clyde Township was
organized in March 1836 and took its name from the settlement.